Always looking for new ways to eat the same old thing, I came up with this sandwich on the weekend:
- boil an egg
- grate 1/2 a small raw beetroot
- chop up a handful of mixed leaves. The veggie box salad mix this week was especially zingy: a mix of rocket, watercress, what looked like a young broccoli shoot – complete with a tiny piece of young broccoli, romaine, young beet root…those are the ones I recognized.
- mix all together in a bowl with some mayonnaise and pinch of dry mustard, salt and pepper, and a slice of onion (finely chopped)
- slather the mix on a slice of wholewheat bread, stack another slice on top and slather the remaining mix on that, then add a third slice of bread.
- Cut in quarters and eat. Yummy and filling.
You can of course use any kind of bread. You could stuff it into a submarine bun, or pita bread, or roll it up in a wrap – of if you are on a total bread fast, you could have it with rice or pasta as a salad.
- A Sincere Sarnie Salutation! (leavenedheaven.wordpress.com)
- Several Slices of Heaven: Sarnie Review @ Ground, Brighton (leavenedheaven.wordpress.com)
- Beetroot, sphagnum moss and carrot chutney (lornastearoomdelights.wordpress.com)
- Roast Beetroot, Rocket and Egg Salad (foodblarg.wordpress.com)