Zucchini bread was pretty common when I was growing up in the Maritimes. I didn’t realize just how Canadian it is until I went hiking recently, and one of the group mentioned he had recently made zucchini bread. I realized I hadn’t eaten zucchini bread since leaving Canada over 10 years ago and moaned that it had been ages since I’d had any, so yesterday he brought some on our hike up Jocelyn Hill, and used it to tease and cajole us up to the top. When we arrived on the summit, Gordon – our hike leader and baker extraordinaire – offered round, to everyone’s delight, so I got the recipe.
Gordon’s Zucchini Bread
- Preheat oven to 375 F
- Beat 2 eggs
- with 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (he uses corn oil)
- and 1 tsp vanilla
Add and Mix together:
- 1 and 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt (I think it was)
- 1 and 1/2 cups grated zucchini
- about 1/2 cup of raisins which have been soaked overnight in apple juice.
- Oil a standard size loaf pan and coat the surfaces with granulated sugar.
- Pour in the mixture and bake for about an hour.
As this recipe is shared from memory, I can’t promise flawless results. I really like Gordon’s idea to soak the raisins in apple juice!
Here are a few things I might do to vary the recipe:
- use wholewheat flour rather than white
- use brown sugar rather than white
- add walnuts or poppy seed, or both
And the links below give you some ideas from others who have adapted a basic zucchini bread recipe.
Now here are some pics of the views we had, plus one aerial view of the trail! Well worth the hike!
- Zucchini Bread Dream (venturegal.com)
- Peach Zucchini Bread (teacher-chef.com)
- Recipe of the Day: Zucchini Bread (news.health.com)
- Zucchini bread recipe rocks (goerie.com)
- Zucchini Banana Bread (2broadsabroad.wordpress.com)
- Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread from Sugar Free Mom (lowsugarlowcarbslongruns.wordpress.com)
- zucchini walnut bread with chia seeds (thebearandtheblackberry.wordpress.com)