Woke up this morning and hankered for something comforting and nutritious. Something warm and substantial. Rather than partaking of a Marlborough Man (minus the Marlboroughs…), and not wanting to wait the 4 hours bread would take, I opted for cornbread.
I used the recipe on the back of the package of cornmeal and added a box of blueberries my niece had left in the freezer before she ran off on a Californian adventure. And you can’t blame the girl really, can you? I mean, if I were 21 and knew what I know today, I think I’d ride my youthful beauty for as long as I could – but certainly not at the cost of focussed development of income streams. Because income streams are what it’s all about, right? Message: Have fun, and make sure you get the money!
PreHeat oven 425F
- 1 cup medium grind Bob’s Red Mill Cornmeal (I have no idea what would happen if you used an unbranded cornmeal. Are they any other brands of cornmeal? Bob’s Red Mill is the only one I know of. Now THAT’s what I call successful branding!)
- 1 cup wholewheat pastry flour (I used Organics)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 tsp baking powder (yuppers, makes it rise up nice!)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter (I used oil)
- Sift together dry ingredients.
- In a cup or small bowl, beat together with a fork, the egg, milk and butter and stir into the dry ingredients. Mix to moisten, then fold in the blueberries.
- Bake in a greased 8-inch square pan for 20-25 minutes. Serve warm with butter and favorite garnish. I had mine with Becel margarine and boysenberry jam.
I cut it into 6 healthy chunks…
had 1 piece for my breakfast – with no jam.
gave 2 pieces to my student to take home for her lunch.
gave 1 piece to my mother.
had 1 piece with afternoon tea.
…and 1 piece remains.
There is something so sunny about cornbread.
It bears the warmth of sun-soaked cornfields,
the yellow of the sun in the sky,
the glow of the suns rays in its kernals…
- Bona Fide Black Skillet Cornbread (bonafidefarmfood.com)
- Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread (lattesandleggings.com)
- Cornbread and Cornbread dressing (adayinthelifeonapositivenote.wordpress.com)
- Whole Grain Cornbread (grainmillwagon.com)
- Best Cakey Cornbread…again (panprinandproprin.wordpress.com)
- Pumpkin Cornbread (bakerunlive.com)
- Soy Cornbread Recipe – SoyConnection.com (soyconnection.com)