Gourmet Mac ‘N’ Cheese
…cooked in muffin pans,
To make the Mac’n’Cheese:
- Cook – just to al dente – about 8 ounces of your favorite smallish pasta. I use fusillata.
While it’s cooking:
- Grate 3 ounces Gruyere and 3 ounces Emmenthal and set aside.
- Trim and discard the outer rind of a small (about 8 ounces) round of Brie, and cut the cheese into cubes.
- Melt about a tablespoon of butter in a saucepan over medium heat, and
stir in about a tablespoon of flour to make a roux.
- Blend in about 1/2 cup of half ‘n’ half cream.
- Add the Brie cut into cubes.
- Reduce to medium-low heat and stir until all the cheese is melted.
- Remove from heat
- Beat in one egg.
- Add cheese mixture to al dente pasta, and pour into buttered, paper-lined muffin tins. Yes, butter the paper cups first or your mac’n’cheese muffins will have paper stuck to them!
- sprinkle on top of muffins.
- Bake at 375F about 30 minutes or until browned. Let cool before serving.
Great for freezing!
They heat-up quickly (from frozen) in covered dish in hot oven. Then they get nice, crispy edges.