A spoonful of hemp keeps the aches away! That’s what some people say. Not only the aches, but a myriad of other ailments ranging from eczema to depression. The benefits come with the balanced ratio of essential omega 3, 6, and 9 which keep our hearts healthy, and the phytoesterols which help reduce bad cholesterol. Hemp seed is also packed with protein, which makes it as complete a food as eggs – without the cholesterol – and as good for you as fish. Some nutritionists say hemp seed and water alone could be life-sustaining.
So what do you do with it? Just about anything you want. You can use shelled hemp seeds as you would any kind of nut. Add it to cereal, porridge, fruit juice, smoothies, yoghurt, stir fry, casseroles, curry, salads, soup, cakes, muffins, cookies, pancakes and on and on. Eat it by the spoonful straight out of the package. Yum-yum!
It also comes in flour, chocolate, pancake mix, biscuits, pasta, tea…
This super food, that will grow almost anywhere, needs to be respected and appreciated and added to people’s diets. It’s been maligned by the drug war, yet it has nothing to do with drugs. It’s derived from the cannabis plant that doesn’t make you high.
- The Hemp Network
- Hemp Oil: A True Super Food
- Are hemp seeds healthier than others? (self.com)
- California, the Hemp Connection? (kymkemp.com)
- Industrial hemp bill passes California Senate (talesfromthelou.wordpress.com)
- Sowing seeds of a food revolution (theage.com.au)
- mmmm kale (realfoodjoy.wordpress.com)
- Hemp History Week (peaceandgreens.wordpress.com)
- Hemp For Your Health: 7 Uses (huffingtonpost.com)
- Hemp, The Great Green Hope (tipggita32.wordpress.com)
- What You May Not Know About Hemp and The US (socyberty.com)
- IsaCrunch Hemp seed: Nature’s heart healthy protein (isasignup.info)
- HEMP Hearts (rufong.wordpress.com)
- Diabetics Need Omega-3 Fats – Part 4 (diabetesdietdialogue.wordpress.com)
- Mulling it over (theage.com.au)
- Celebrate Hemp History Week (wholefoodsmarket.com)
- Diabetics Need Omega-3 Fats – Part 2 (diabetesdietdialogue.wordpress.com)
- Hemp versus cotton: Which is better for the environment? (slate.com)
Water and hemp seed could be life sustaining. WOW.
So, where do we find this great stuff? Health food stores?
Yes you should be able to get from a health food store in your area. Some supermarkets also carry it. You can also order it online. Shop around, prices vary. When looking at pricing compare food value: 100 grams of hemp seed has about 35 grams of protein and all those other benefits.
I’ll check it out. I had no idea about the health benefits! Your posts are so informative. I learn so much from them.